Good Hot Soup, Vegetarian Style!
Blustery weather calls for a bowl of hot nourishing Easy Alphabet Vegetable Soup. This recipe has been in my family for many years. I really can’t remember when I ate my first bowl of this soup, because it seems as if it’s always been there. Mom always said that canned soup, though convenient at times, doesn’t measure up in taste and quality of homemade. I’ve also found that I can control the amount of salt and seasonings, which helps me stay healthy.
Do you think making homemade soup is difficult?
If you do, then you should try this recipe. It’s so easy it takes less than 30-35 minutes from start to finish. The ingredients are easy to find in any supermarket, so there’s nothing exotic to search for. A good homemade soup gives us a great pickup after a hard day, and it can be dressed up with croutons, sour cream or even meat if you desire. Or dress it down, and serve it plain with crackers or crusty bread. It all depends on your mood and what you have a taste for at the moment. In any case, it’s so simple to make, it’s almost as quick as opening a can! Oh, but it tastes so much better!
- 3 cups broth, vegetable
- 3 cups tomato juice
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon basil leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 & ½ cups mixed vegetables, frozen or fresh
- ⅔ cup alphabet macaroni
- ½ teaspoon salt, Optional
- In large saucepan, combine vegetable broth, tomato juice, water, celery, onion, basil and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until celery and onion are crisp tender.
- Stir in frozen or fresh vegetables and macaroni.
- Cook covered over medium heat 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables and macaroni are tender.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR