Asparagus and new potatoes in butter lemon sauce with fresh herbs.
A quick and easy recipe.
This is a wonderfully fresh and clean tasting recipe. It’s lovely to serve as a meat-free entree with crusty bread. It also makes a great dish for lunch.If you don’t eat dairy, it’s still delicious if you omit the butter and cheese (but I prefer the dairy version, I must admit).
It’s such a versatile recipe because you can also serve this dish as a delicious side dish. It’s great with white fish.
Use your choice of fresh herbs to finalise and garnish the dish.This will give it a subtly different flavour every time you make it if you vary the herbs you use. My favourite in this dish is fresh mint but I’ve also used lovely fresh basil leaves which were a delicious addition.
It only takes about fifteen minutes from start to finish. Serve at once while the asparagus still has some bite.
Here’s the recipe:
Serves: 2 portions
- 8 oz fresh asparagus,cleaned, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 8 new potatoes, cleaned and cut into bite size chunks
- 1 small red pepper, seeds removed, sliced
- ½ lemon
- 1 - 2 oz blue cheese
- 1 oz (approx) butter
- Fresh herbs to garnish
- Boil a pan of water and add the potatoes. Turn the heat down and cook for about ten minutes.
- Add the pepper slices to the pan and cook for about one minute.
- Drain out the water,leaving ½ in the pan. Turn down the heat and return the pan to the stove.
- Add the asparagus and place a lid on the pan.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and add the juice of the ½ lemon.
- Drain the vegetables and add the butter/lemon.mixture
- Add the cheese broken into small pieces.
- Shake the pan until the vegetables are coated.
- Add chopped fresh herbs.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR