If you enjoy delicious stews, then this is a must! Beef Stroganoff is a traditional Russian dish made with strips of lean sirloin steak cooked in a sauce of onions, cream and mushrooms.
The beef must be cut into thin strips that are half an inch thick and about 2 inches in length. All fat must be removed.
Serves: Serves 8
- 2 lb beef strips
- 4 oz butter
- 2 sliced medium onions
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 6 oz sliced button mushrooms
- 5 oz sour cream
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 cups of beef stock
- 1 tbsp flour pounded with butter
- Season the strips of beef lightly cover them in flour.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan/skillet and quickly brown the strips.
- Remove the beef and add the onions to the butter and fry until they are soft – 3 to five minutes. Remove onions from the pan and set aside.
- Stir the flour into the juices in the pan, then add the beef stock and bring to the boil – stir constantly to avoid lumps.
- Add the tomato purée, wine, and cream and salt.
- Add the beef strips, mushrooms and onions to the sauce and simmer on a very low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Do not boil or the meat will turn hard.
Of course you could always go and sample the real thing in Russia! Check out this amazing holiday with Intrepid Travel. Just click on the image of St. Basil’s Cathedral: