Lighten Up Your Brownies with this Two Ingredient Recipe
Ever since I discovered this brownie recipe, it’s the only way I make them. I found it in the Hungry Girl dessert cookbook shown below. It’s not only simple, but she’s made it much healthier by using pumpkin instead of oil and eggs. And best of all is it’s rich chocolate taste!
Her cookbook offers many different versions that all look yummy, but for today’s Superbowl I wanted brownies for a simple dessert.All you do is mix a 15 oz can of pumpkin with the devil’s food cake mix. Isn’t that easy? I added walnuts today then frosted them with pre-made frosting.
They are really good without frosting, but they look so pretty frosted. If you want to make it lighter still, try the sugar free variety cake mix.Hungry Girl has a tasty, low calorie frosting which I did not use for this. You can access her recipes at the Hungry Girl Site.If you’re looking for a delicious and easy dessert, these will do it. They are both very satisfying and serve a bunch.
Serves: 16 to 24
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 1 15 oz can pure pumpkin, (or ½ large can)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- chocolate frosting (optional)
- Chocolate Frosting
- 5½ cups powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
- 13 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 12 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- 10 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray 9 X 13 pan with cooking spray.
- Mix 15 oz pumpkin with the devil's food cake mix. Mixture will be quite thick.
- Stir in nuts if desired.
- Smooth into pan, then bake at 400 for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, you can frost if you like. They are tasty with or without.
- Chocolate Frosting
- Sift cocoa with powdered sugar, then set aside.
- Cream butter until smooth.
- Alternate adding some of the sugar mixture with some of the evaporated milk.
- Add vanilla.
- Mix until nice and fluffy.
- If needed, add a bit more cocoa or powdered sugar for the proper consistency.
Cuisinart’s Hand Mixer with Storage Case
Great hand mixer with case to keep the cord and accessories compactly stored together all in one little package. I love mine and use it for everything. This hand mixer has plenty of power to handle everything I’ve tried. It’s lightweight, so easy to handle, and easy to clean. One of the best features is that it hardly takes any room to store in a cupboard.
Hungry Girl’s 200 under 200 Just Desserts
This wonderful cookbook is filled with yummy desserts that are low calorie. It’s where I first heard of pumpkin for brownies. All of Hungry Girl’s cookbooks are filled with fun, beautiful recipes that are healthier and lower calorie. Nice to have one that satisfies the sweet tooth.
Air Bake Insulated Pans for Even Baking
My personal favorite baking pan. The insulated pans cook evenly and never seem to burn. The lid is especially handy for brownies too.