I love when the end of summer comes and its time for the zucchini to blossom in the garden. It’s like the next part to garden with Fall approaching.
There are a number of great recipes that you can make with the zucchini. One that I really enjoy making is Chocolate Zucchini Cake. It is simple to make and usually goes over well with everyone who tries it. Although the first thought may be to those who think zucchini in a cake might not taste good. So you’ll have to try it before you judge!
Using zucchini in a cake does make it a bit heavier than fluffy. I don’t think the taste is super noticeable and it does keep the cake moist not dry. I like to use a cream cheese frosting on top which I just buy a store brand for that.
Serves: 12 portions
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 2⅓ cups flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Peal and shred zucchini using a shredder.
- Combine oil, eggs, sugar, vanilla and zucchini in a bowl.
- In a desperate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to Zucchini mixture.
- Stir in nuts (optional) and chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
I like to use this type of shredder since it has cup holder inside of it. Your zucchini goes into that cup and isn’t so messy.
These kind of measure cups come in handy.
Prepare Zucchini Mixture
Add oil, eggs, sugar, vanilla and the shredded zucchini
Prepare Dry Ingredients
Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt
Measure Chocolate Chips
Measure a ½ cup. I had these big chocolate chips I used.
Mix In Chocolate Chips
Add chocolate chips and nuts which are optional. I don’t care for nuts in mine so I don’t use them.
Cake Pan Ready
Pour into pan
Out of Oven
This is what it will look like when you take it out of the oven to cool.
Frost The Cake
Adding a frosting adds taste to your cake. I like to use Cream Cheese frosting for this zucchini cake. Here is what it looks like all frosted up.
Random Zucchini Facts:
Did You Know…..
- Zucchini first arrived in the United States in the 1920s via the Italians
- They contain 95% water
- The flower of the zucchini is edible
- Nutrients and vitamins found in zucchini can help prevent cancer and heart disease.
- Small to medium sized zucchinis are the best for the most flavorful.
- The darker the skin, the richer the nutrients.
- Zucchini is fat free, cholesterol free, low in sodium, rich in manganese and vitamin C
- They have more potassium than a banana. (Surprised, I am)
- April 25th is National Zucchini Bread Day
- The word zucchini comes from ‘zucca’ the Italian word for squash.
My most favorite fact from this list is that zucchini has more potassium than a banana. Who would have thought? Clearly a fact I didn’t know until I’d done a bit more research on them.
What’s your favorite fact?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR