Citrus chicken recipe
This is a recipe that I’ve had for ages and although we no longer eat meat,I often use this recipe to make the yummy sauce when we are having guests for a barbecued meal.
The recipe is very tasty when made exactly as you see it below. When I’m making it as is, I just make a couple of changes — but it’s up to you.
I serve the grapefruit and kiwi in separate bowls rather than using the fruit as a garnish on the serving dish. This is because I prefer the plates to be warm and the fruit to be cold.
I also like to sprinkle the top with fresh herbs – basil is my own favourite but parsley is good too.
But if you’re grilling your chicken outdoors, you can make the make the sauce separately and in advance if you wish.
Here’s the recipe.
- 2 red grapefruit
- 1 kiwi fruit
- ⅔ cup apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, skinned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Lemon pepper
- Grate the peel of one grapefruit and reserve.
- Cut the grapefruit in half and squeeze out ¼ cup of juice
- Peel and section the second grapefruit.
- Peel then thinly slice the kiwi fruit.
- Arrange the fruit attractively on the edge of a serving plate and put aside.
- Combine the grapefruit juice, the apricot preserves, soy sauce, cornstarch and ginger.
- Season the chicken with the lemon pepper.
- Melt the butter in a skillet and add the chicken.
- Cook over a medium heat for about five minutes then turn and cook the other side for five or six minutes also.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for half a minute.
- Add the juice mixture and stir until the sauce is thickened.
- Arrange the chicken on the fruit-decorated serving platter and spoon some of the sauce over it.
- Serve the extra sauce on the side.
- Garnish with the grated grapefruit zest.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR