What a fabulous broccoli soup. My sister made this while I was visiting her and I thought ‘I’ve got to get this recipe’. It is from a cookbook called Forks Over Knives that has plant-based recipes it.
I gathered the ingredients, my blender and pans. I had to make the cashew sauce in a blender. The recipe calls for raw cashews but unfortunately my local store didn’t carry them so I looked for unsalted cashews but to my dismay I ended getting salted ones. I’d never made a sauce like this so it was really new for me. Next I got all the veggies cut up and ready to put into the pan to start the soup. I followed the instructions for each part of how to make the soup. Then I cooked the veggies. You do not want to over cook them. Then once you have it all in the pan; cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or so. I didn’t puree half the soup like it says in the ending steps but you can do that if you want to. I wanted more of a chunkier soup.
It tasted incredibly good. The flavor was just right and the vegetables weren’t over cooked. I enjoyed learning how to make this soup. I suggest giving it a try; you’ll love it! This recipe is sure to be an added plus to your vegetarian recipes. See photographs below.
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes unpeeled and cubed
- 1 large head broccoli including stems and chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Purée 1 cup of the vegetable stock with the cashews in a blender until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large pot cook the onion, celery and carrot over a medium heat in 1 cup of the vegetable stock for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, bell pepper and potatoes and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the remaining 4 cups vegetable stock along with the broccoli, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to boil over a high heat.
- Cover and simmer until the broccoli and potatoes are soft for about 10 minutes
- Add the cashew mixture to the soup and stir until mixed.
- Remove the pot from the heat and purée about half of the soup in small batches until smooth.
- Returned puréed soup to the pot and reheat. Stir well.
- Then serve!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR