Eggplant rolls – quick and easy recipe.
This is an easy dish to make and is a delicious meat-free meal. You could also serve these tasty rolls as a side dish or an appetizer. It’s a very flexible recipe too, as you can add leftovers, or flavourings of your choice, to the stuffing.
The recipe uses a commercial pasta sauce but it’s even tastier if you make your own. I’ve also made this using a quick, simple sauce using tomatoes (canned or fresh) whizzed in the blender with a little garlic and whatever I have to hand – fresh herbs, a little celery or onion …
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup ricotta
- ½ jar tomato based pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Fresh herbs for garnishing
- Line a cookie sheet with absorbent paper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large frying pan, heat about one eighth of an inch of olive oil.
- Fry the eggplant slices in batches.
- As each slice is cooked, lay it on the absorbent paper.
- Combine the ricotta, garlic and freshly ground black pepper in a bowl.
- Grease an oven dish - I simply wipe it with the oily absorbent paper.
- Place a spoonful of ricotta at one end of each eggplant slice.
- Roll each slice up and place in the oven dish.
- Bake for about ten minutes.
- Meanwhile using the same pan you used for the eggplant, heat the pasta sauce.
- Add wine, if using, and more black pepper.
- Serve the eggplant rolls with the sauce poured over and fresh herbs to garnish.
A medium eggplant will give you about ten slices, therefore this recipe makes the same number of rolls. Some people like to salt eggplant prior to cooking but quite honestly, I’ve never found that it makes a difference but by all means do so if you wish.
Be sure to place the rolls seam-side down when you put them in the oven dish. For a more filling meal, or to add variety, add vegetables such as sliced mushrooms to the sauce. It’s also tasty to serve parmesan cheese on the side to sprinkle on top. Delicious.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
October 15, 2015