Here in Western New York winter can be brutal. I get a lot of ice buildup on the edge of the roof in the winter. Over time this can cause problems with your gutters.
When you have a leaking gutter it is usually leaking at the seam, this is where two lengths of the gutter are joined together.
I had this problem with my plastic gutters. The leak was at a seam right over the front door. To be honest with you we don’t even use the front door that often. We use a side door off of the driveway that leads into the kitchen all of the time.
Here was the problem, our front door is used 100% of the time on Halloween night. Last year was a beautiful clear night for the little trick or treaters, so this leak wasn’t a problem.
The year before however it poured down rain, and every trick or treater that came to our house got just a little more wet. The other problem was that if we had a UPS or FedEx delivery and it was raining, the box would get soaked. So this year I decided that I really needed to fix this leak before Halloween, and any more deliveries.
Here are some simple instructions to fix a leaking gutter seam.
- First you want to find a good quality silicone waterproof sealant
- Next you’ll have to clean the gutter, make sure there are no debris causing standing water near the seam
- Now use an old paint brush to brush away all of the loose dirt away from the seam
- You may have to use the edge of a putty knife or small screw driver to clean the dirt out of the seam
- Once all of the dirt is removed, wash the seam with a damp cloth, and then use a dry cloth to dry it
- Using a caulking gun, apply the silicone sealant to the seam. Press the sealant into the seam with your finger or a putty knife.
Now all you have to do is wait until it rains again to make sure that you stopped the leak, and I’m sure that you did. I hope these instructions were helpful to you.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR. SAM MONACO