Easy Ham Roll-Ups
These little bite sized ham and cream cheese roll ups were lunch yesterday. I happened to have some ham slices on hand. Since I didn’t feel like a sandwich, I pulled out some cream cheese, spread it on the ham with some onion, and had one of the fastest lunches I’ve ever made!
If you are looking for a low carb, low fat meal, try this out. I always use 95 – 99% fat free ham, and usually use Neufchatel cheese, to make it lower in calories and fat. Green onion always adds flavor. You can spread the cream cheese totally across the ham, but I think it works just as well to spread a line every inch or two. It spreads out as you roll it tightly so you get cream cheese in every bite.
These make perfect after school snacks, or appetizers for a party of any sort. Easy to eat with fingers, toothpick or a fork. If you want to serve them as an appetizer, simply cut them into smaller slices, about an inch wide. For a snack, I’d slice them in halves or thirds.
If you are serving a Roll-up for a meal, a little dinner salad tastes refreshing with them. Fresh fruit like these raspberries always add to a delicious lunch. No matter how or when you like them, they make a satisfying taste sensation.
Serves: 3 to 4
- 8 Deli ham, sliced fairly thin
- ½ cup cream cheese, softened or whipped
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, optional
- Spread cream cheese on each slice of ham. If you like the Worcestershire sauce flavor, stir into cream cheese thoroughly before spreading on ham slice.
- Sprinkle chopped green onions on each.
- Roll up as snuggly as possible, then place on dish, end side down. You may want to secure with a toothpick to be sure they hold their shape
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour, until easier to slice.
- Using a sharp knife, slice each into 3 or 4 smaller rolls.
- Serve with toothpicks for an easy appetizer.
- Serve with fresh fruit for a light lunch.
Other Tastes You Might Like…
There are plenty of ways you can vary this recipe for a tasty appetizer or a meal. I normally buy the low fat deli meat, often 95 to 98% fat free. Use low fat cream cheese for a lighter, healthier snack as well. Same with cheese. If you buy the low fat grated cheeses, it not only saves fat and calories, but also is easier to sprinkle onto the meat slice.
- Roll up with a thin slice of cheese–try cheddar or mozzarella–then melt in the microwave.
- Use turkey slices instead of ham.
- Use lean deli roast beef slices
- Spread with cottage cheese then roll and eat.
- If using ham, try cottage cheese and a little crushed pineapple.
- Finely chop up some green or red pepper and sprinkle on cream cheese.
- Add fresh basil, chopped or whole.
- Add any fresh herbs you enjoy.
- Use a light spread of spicy mustard, and roll.
- Mix some cauliflower rice into the cream cheese.
- Add some chopped spinach on top of the cream cheese.
- Spinach or Cauliflower melted with cheddar or mozzarella in a ham roll is delish!
- If you use roast beef, add a spoonful of horseradish to the cream cheese for a little bite.
- Try guacamole instead of cream cheese. It’s especially good on the turkey slices.
- Sprinkle turkey with bacon bits as well as the chopped onion.
What would you add to yours?
This is on my wish list, for other wraps to try. There are so many ways to wrap without bread or flour tortillas. The paleo recipes in this little book should fit into most diets. Healthy, filling, and they look so good!