Mexican Cabbage Salad
Mexican Cabbage Salad is another recipe I’ve tried to replicate from a favorite local restaurant in San Diego. Cinco de Mayo or anytime, it’s a family favorite. It brings back memories of leisurely dinners complete with margaritas, chips and salsa, and friends. We often enjoyed sharing one of these salads with our dinner order.
Usually we make coleslaw with mayo, but this is so crisp and refreshing with oil and vinegar, not to mention the wonderful scent and taste of fresh cilantro. It’s lighter, healthier, and vegan.
Even the aroma of cilantro takes me there. Isn’t it a treat to have that happen when you smell or taste a favorite food? I serve it with White Bean and Spinach Tacos and/or Cauliflower and Bean Burritos. Hope you like it as much as I do.
- ½ cabbage, sliced very thinly
- ¼ cup of grated carrots, or more as desired
- ¹/³ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Rinse sliced cabbage and carrots with cold water, then let set for 5 minutes
- Mix vinegar, oil, cilantro, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stir in cabbage and carrots, mixing well.
- Serve now, or refrigerate for a few hours.
It’s a tasty, tangy cabbage salad that goes well with burritos, tacos, enchiladas or any of your favorite Mexican foods.