How to Plan for a Move
Moving is a daunting and stressful task, and can really ware you down. So if you’re going to be moving here are some helpful tips that I’ve learned from doing this a few times. I’m by no means a professional mover; these ideas are based on my own experiences.
If you’re moving from one end of town to the other moving is stressful enough. When you move away from your home to another town it’s really tough.
There are so many things to consider, where do you start?
My best advice is to start making a list of things that you need to do. In other words begin to make a plan. These things don’t need to be in any specific order right now, just start to write things down. Following are some things that you’ll need to consider:
- If you’re not renting you’ll have to list your current home for sale, and find a reputable realtor.
- A new school for your children, this was number one on our list and so important because everyone wants the best education for their kids. Be sure to get all their school records.
- A new home in your new city, are you going to rent or buy a home? Everybody wants to live in a nice neighborhood, so you’ll need to check out the area.
- A new doctor for you and your children, you can ask your current doctor for referrals, or check online for ratings of doctors in the new area. Advise your current doctor to prepare your records for transfer.
- You need to do your banking somewhere, so you’ll need to find a new bank.
- Are you going to pack and move yourself or find a moving company? Either way, there will be much work to be done. You’ll need boxes, packaging material and tape.
Having the right box: This box is 20″ x 13″ x 10″ High
You’re going to need boxes and packaging material, such as bubble wrap, news paper, or Kraft paper. My preferred packaging material is the bubble wrap.
Bubble wrap can be expensive, especially if you’re going to need a lot of it. (Having the right boxes and no packaging material is like having a bowl of popcorn without the butter.) You’ll want to find a box close to this size, as it’s perfect for dishes, glasses, mugs, and especially books.
The reason here is that you can’t over pack it to the point where you can’t pick it up. This is always something to think about when you’re packing. This makes it easy to pick up move around and store if you’re not going to unpack it quickly.
Packaging Material Tip
To save some money, check with small to mid sized manufacturers in your area. Most times these places receive materials with packaging such as bubble wrap, and often throw it away. Most times all you have to do is ask and you can get it for free.
Big Boxes for the light stuff. The Large Box: 22″ x 19″ x 26″ High
Pictured here is the large box. These are the boxes you need for the lighter stuff. You’ll find plenty of light things to load these boxes with, such as blankets, pillows clothes, shoes and so much more. Be careful not to overload these boxes, and do not pack heavy things in these like dishes and books, because you won’t be able to move them or pick them up.
I hope my tips and experience were helpful to you. Here is a value pack of moving boxes:
ABOUT THE AUTHOR. SAM MONACO