My daughter Miss Norway made this great Pumpkin Patch Soup and I told her to take photos and I would write about it for Jaquo Magazine. This soup is so yummy for fall and winter!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 3 slices of thick bacon cooked
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder or equivalent
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 - 29 ounce cans pumpkin
- 4 cups of broth - vegetable or chicken
- ¾ cup apple cider drink
- ½ cup unwhipped whipping cream
- Miss Norway says: Saute the pumpkin seeds (I use soybean oil not olive oil) one minute until they pop! Set aside in a bowl.
- Cook bacon.
- Let bacon, drain and reserve some of the bacon oil. Cool the bacon and set aside.
- Saute the onion in the bacon oil, as per recipe. I added the spices into the onion, so the onion would be more flavorful.
- After your onions are translucent you put them in the crock pot.
- Add the 2 cans of pumpkin, the stock and the apple cider drink.
- You can use some of the stock to get all the pumpkin out of the can. Stir until smooth.
- After the soup cooks for 4 hours, whisk in ½ cup of UN-WHIPPED whipping cream.
Onion cooking with bacon oil and spices:
Pumpkin, stock and cider in the crock pot and cook 4 hours
Pumpkin seeds that have been heated in the olive oil until they pop!
After 4 hours:
Whisk in the whipping cream:
Doesn’t that look good and very nutritious and yummy???
For vegetarians use vegetable broth and omit bacon. For those who do not use dairy you can skip the whipping cream.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR