Scandinavian Potato Cakes Recipe
These are a real treat for breakfast. Although the batter needs to be refrigerated for thirty minutes it could be made ahead and then each potato cake (which are actually more like pancakes) take two minutes each to cook.
The potatoes add valuable nutrients to the dish and the entire recipe is low-cost.
Although the original recipe calls for applesauce to serve (which is delicious and adds more nutrients by way of the fruit) I find that these are delicious served with lemon wedges so that each person can add just that extra zing.
But my all means experiment – I tried these with a spoonful of French apricot preserve and that was magnifique!
Serves: 12 potato cakes
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter,melted
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
- Place the egg,milk,flour, sugar and melted butter into a blender and blend on a high speed until smooth (about 30 seconds)
- Add half the potatoes,cover, and blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining potatoes and repeat.
- Refrigerate for thirty minutes.
- Take an eight inch skillet and melt a little butter on a medium heat.
- Spoon about three tablespoons of the potato batter into the centre of the skillet and rotate until the batter covers the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for about one minute or until lightly browned.
- Flip and cook for a further minute.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with applesauce if desired.
Recommended breakfast cookbooks
ABOUT THE AUTHOR