Spicy onion fritters – or use the vegetables of your choice.
These vegetable fritters are so delicious.Part of the reason for that is the beautifully light batter. It’s truly fabulous and contains a special secret ingredient. I like to make onion fritters using this special batter – it’s really so light and tasty – but I’ve experimented with other vegetables too. Use whatever you have available – even leftovers. Use a single vegetable or make a mix – whatever you think your family’s taste buds will fancy.
We often have a plate each of these as dinner, served with a lovely crisp salad. But you could serve then as a side or as an appetiser. I’ve also served them cold – if you do this, be sure to drain them very well when you remove them from the oil so that the batter remains crisp as it cools.
I use korma paste to make these fritters just a little spicy. If you like hotter tastes, then use the paste of your choice.
Here’s the recipe:
Serves: 2 portions
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup vodka
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 medium onions,peeled and chopped
- 1 heaped teaspoon korma paste
- A little flour
- Olive oil for frying
- Lemon & fresh coriander for garnish
- 2 tomatoes for the salad
- 2 spring onions for the salad
- Whisk the first three ingredients together to make a smooth batter.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Put about an inch of cold water in a pan and set it to boil. Add the onions. Cook them lightly for a minute or two until they are soft then drain.
- Place them in a small bowl and add flour to coat. Use a fork or your fingers.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the korma paste to the batter and mix well.
- When the oil is hot, add spoonfuls of the onion/batter mix. Press down slightly.
- They cook quickly so turn as soon as the bottoms become golden and fry on the other side.
- Depending on the size of your pan, you may have to cook them in several batches.
- Drain well on paper towel.
- Serve with a simple tomato and green onion salad and garnish withe fresh cilantro and a lemon slice.
Vegetable fritter ideas
Once you realise how delicious these fritters are and how beautifully light the batter is, you’ll want to try making them using other vegetables too. Another serving suggestion is to add a dipping sauce. This gives you a wonderful variety of meals from one simple recipe.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR