Split Pea and Smoked Sausage Soup Recipe
This is a hearty, satisfying, tummy-filling soup. The mellowness of the peas are greatly enhanced by the smoky sausage flavor and it’s an easy recipe. It’s just right for a busy day, because you don’t have to “tend” it, it takes care of itself. Add crusty bread, cornbread or crackers for a great supper.
- 1 rope smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 pound green split peas
- ½ cup onion, diced and sauteed
- 1 large carrot, Finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- About 6 cups of water
- Slice Smoked Sausage into quarter-inch slices.
- Place all slices into a skillet and brown slightly.
- Remove sausage from skillet.
- Place chopped onion and chopped carrot into skillet and saute until onion is tender.
- Add garlic and saute 1 more minute. Set aside.
- Rinse and sort split peas and place in a large pot with 3 cups of water.
- Turn heat to high to begin boil, then turn to medium. Boil for 45 minutes, then add onion, carrot, garlic, and sausage to the pot, along with 3 more cups of water.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- It is ready to eat at this time, but if you like your pea soup smooth and velvety, you can puree it a little at a time in a food processor.
- Place back into the pot and re-heat.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR