Sweet, Sweet Memories.
As long as I can remember, my mother made the best pies! Everyone always loved them, and asked her to bake one kind or another. Naturally she made her own wonderful flaky crusts for each of them too. When we had our apple trees, she would make a bunch to freeze.
Dad would always tease that he was the one always peeling apples so he should get credit for the pies. Apple, Banana Cream, Lemon Meringue, an oh-so-light pumpkin chiffon, and my favorite, Strawberry. What makes it unique from most, and extra yummy, is the layer of cream cheese.
Mom isn’t able to bake any more, though she will still love eating a piece of this pie. Every time I make it, the memories that come with it bring smiles; standing in the kitchen stirring the pot for her so it wouldn’t stick, enjoying a slice after a delicious family dinner. Years later, I would see my daughter standing on a chair at the kitchen counter while she helped her grandma bake.
It adds an extra sentiment to baking when I can think back to those good times. Reminiscing lately has made me want to re-create more of her favorites.
Serves: 8 portions
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1 tablespoons milk
- 1 quart strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- 4 or 5 drops red food coloring
- 1 baked pie crust, cooled
- Wash and stem strawberries.
- Combine cream cheese and milk, mixing until smooth and well blended.
- Spread half the cream cheese mixture on the bottom of the pie crust.
- Cover that with fresh strawberries. If berries are large you may want to halve them. Use about 1 cup of the strawberries, leaving the rest for the glaze.
- Cut the remaining berries in half.
- Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a sauce pan. Add the water then mix until blended.
- Add the remaining strawberries then cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring often.
- Add red food coloring, mix well.
- Pour immediately over the strawberries in the pastry shell.
- Spoon dollops of remaining cream cheese onto top of pie, then chill until set.
Baking Essentials in My Kitchen – How about yours?
I love this set of 2 glass pie pans. They are nice and deep, perfect for our strawberry pie, and since most recipes make two crusts, you’ll have two pans to match!
And here’s my favorite hand mixer. It works great! And I love the case that holds the accessories and the mixer all together. Such a neat way to keep them.