Ten minute strawberry tart.
This was a popular recipe in the nineteen sixties and seventies and I see no reason why it can’t be revived today 🙂
Yes, it uses a pre-baked pie case (I use the graham cracker type) and, apart from the fresh strawberries, it uses items from the store cupboard but the labour involved is ten minutes tops.
Kids love it but you can give it a more adult, sophisticated flavour by adding just a few drops of the booze of your choice – a touch of rum is delightful.
As an alternative, you can dispense with the graham cracker crust altogether and serve the lovely, fluffy fruit in wine glasses decorated with extra strawberries and, if you wish, a little cream. Or – my favourite – pour a little Bailey’s Irish Cream over the adults’ portions.
This is a versatile, quick and so easy recipe. You can use the button below to print it and scroll down for step-by-step photographs.
- 1 ready made pie crust
- ½ packet strawberry jello crystals
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 6 - 8 large strawberries, cleaned and chopped
- Boiling water
- Put the jello crystals into a small bowl and add half a cup of cold water.
- Mix and refrigerate.
- Add the strawberries to the pie crust.
- Whisk the evaporated milk.
- Whisk in the cooled jello liquid.
- Pour over the strawberries.
- Refrigerate until set (about and hour) and serve.