Summer Fruit Salad with Creamy Honey-Lime Dressing
Do you love fresh fruit, especially spring and summer fruits? Those luscious strawberries, melons, blueberries, cherries, peaches, nectarines, plums, all just call my name at the beginning of summer.
As soon as the fresh crop hits my supermarket I’m making my Summer Fruit Salad with Creamy Honey-Lime Dressing, because it’s soooo delicious!
I make this Summer Fruit Salad because it is so light on the tummy for warm weather and my family loves it. Sometimes I use it as a side dish along with grilled chicken. Other times it doubles as a dessert. It’s nice to be able to alter the flavor with the different fresh fruits available at the market at the time I make it.
The dressing is so creamy and citrus-y, it complements the flavors of the fruit. Since the dressing remains the same, you only need to vary the fruit to give it different flavor.
One of the great things about this Summer Fruit Salad is that if you prefer a sugar substitute in the dressing, it works fine and is still as delicious. One caution: If you decide to eat the fruit without the lime juice or dressing, omit using apples and bananas as they tend to turn brown without the acid of the citrus.
It takes only a short time to peel and chop the fruits, about 20 minutes depending on how fast you are with these kind of things. Sometimes it takes me longer because I’m nibbling on fruit as I go! So if you’re a nibbler too, allow a bit more time for the preparation.
This recipe made as shown will provide 6 generous servings. If you want to make it for a larger crowd you’ll need to add more fruits and make a larger batch of dressing. They’ll all be crazy for it!
- Lime juice mixture to prevent fruit browning. You'll want to mix this first if using apples or bananas
- ½ cup each lime juice and water
- ¼ cup sugar, or to taste
- (you may use a sugar substitute if desired)
- Put this into fruit mixture when you add banana.
- Fruits of your choice, here's what I usually use:
- 1 pint blueberries, washed and divided
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled and halved
- 2 large nectarines or peaches (optional)
- 1 cup watermelon, honeydew or cantaloupe balls
- 1 cup seedless grapes (choose your favorite!)
- 1 Kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced, for garnish (optional)
- Dark sweet cherries for garnish (optional, be sure to pit them)
- Remaining blueberries for garnish (optional)
- 1 large banana, sliced diagonally, if using.
- 1 medium apple, sliced and diced, if using.
- In a small bowl stir lime juice, water and sugar until sugar dissolves.
- Add banana if using and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the blueberries, nectarines, strawberries, watermelon, grapes, Kiwi, etc.
- Mix in bananas and/or apples after other fruits are combined.
- When salad fruits are all together, take next step with the Honey-Lime Dressing.
- Pour a small amount of the Honey-Lime dressing over fruit, cover loosely and refrigerate. (See below)
- To serve, spoon an assortment of fruits and berries, making sure to include some of the Honey-Lime dressing, into dessert bowls or sundae glasses.
Creamy Honey-Lime Dressing
This is what makes the fruit salad SING!
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons honey
Combine all ingredients together and mix in blender or electric mixer, or with hand held immersible mixer until smooth.
If you don’t have a immersible hand mixer, a blender or a regular stand mixer, here’s a few suggestions for you.
You might want to consider the serving dishes below for this Summer Fruit Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing.
For a dessert or a side dish, I know you’ll enjoy the fruits of spring/summer! They’re delicious and good for you too!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR