Mediterranean Tuna Salad.
I can’t think of anything that scares people more, than the thought of getting cancer…..doctors, nutritionist, and a host of people are convinced that diet plays an important part in reducing your risks of becoming another victim of this hideous disease.
To that end, I get several different recipe sources that are supposed to be good for you in any and every situation in life. Some of these recipes don’t do anything for my palate and others are just the cat’s meow.
The following recipe is one that makes my mouth water courtesy of the Canadian Cancer Society. It would fit the bill for anyone who is trying to watch their fat and calorie intake as well.
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cucumber chopped into slices or cubes (your choice)
- ½ red pepper chopped
- 2 – 4 radishes chopped
- 2 tablespoons olives chopped
- 1 19oz can of chick peas drained and rinsed
- 1 can of tuna drained (again your choice of flaked or solid)
- Mix the first three ingredients into a bowl and then after whisking to meld all the flavors together, add the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Let sit at room temperature to let the vegetables marinade and then serve on a bed of salad greens.
Double the recipe and use it as a filling in pita flats, or if you really are watching your carbs, you can use them in a salad leaf “bowl”. Add some green onions or mixed olives, black and green to change the flavors just a bit. Add some parsley to the mix as a garnish or to add fibre. If you want it a little bit “denser” add 1/2 cup of Feta cheese.
Either way this is a refreshing, easy and tasty salad that I am sure you will make more than once. Easy to make and easy to share too!
Keeping yourself healthy is one way to enjoy life more!
You are what you eat, make it healthy, full of veggies and full of taste.
This recipe is not originally mine, but I have made it and suggest adding some of the other options just to make it that much more enticing…..
Serve it in a beautiful bowl and everyone’s eyes will light up and their taste buds will take notice. Enjoy!
While you are at it, donate something to the Cancer Society in your area. Your dollars will make a difference.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR