A vegetarian haggis recipe
I have to admit something to you. In the days when I used to eat meat, I used to like haggis. In those days, it was available in our local supermarket.
Of course, the fact that it’s traditionally served with a glass of Scotch might have something to do with it and frankly, it’s not too good an idea to dwell on the ingredients if you’re a squeamish eater.
As I don’t especially care for the taste of meat, I liked the fact that haggis was composed quite largely of oatmeal and suet – the meat flavour wasn’t much in evidence. It’s also quite spicy.
Try a vegetarian haggis recipe
If you’re serving real haggis at Scottish-themed dinner party ,it’s a great idea to make vegetarian version too. It’s very likely that some of your guests will be non-meat eaters and if you have squeamish diners expected at your party, they’ll appreciate it too.
Here’s the recipe in full.
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated
- 1 cup button mushrooms, diced
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup kidney beans, mashed with a fork
- ¾ cup mixed nuts, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, minced
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt & fresh ground blackpepper to taste
- 3 cups quick cook oatmeal
- ½ cup Scotch
- ½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Combine onion,olive oil and shortening in a large skillet over a medium heat and saute until onions are tender - about four minutes
- Add carrots and mushrooms and cook a further 3 minutes
- All the lentils and 1½ cups stock and set to simmer
- Meanwhile combine the kidney beans with the remaining stock
- One the lentil and vegetable mixture has reached a simmer add the beans, nuts, soy sauce, lemon juice and seasonings
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes
- Stir in the oats,Scotch and water and remove from the heat
- Lightly oil 8 ramekins or other small baking dishes. Spoon the mixture into the ramekins, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover during the final 5 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving
ABOUT THE AUTHOR