What is a Haystack?
If you’re a person who likes taco salads then you’ll like Haystacks. What is a Haystack you might be thinking. It’s like a big taco salad except you get to make your own stack! All you do is assemble it in layers starting with tortilla chips, then add the bean mixture, then add the veggies. Top it with salsa or sour cream as desired. Its a simple and easy recipe and everyone can join in once all the ingredients are on the table.
When you look at the ingredients you’ll be able to see that you can add as many veggie toppings you like. If you don’t like one; don’t add it. If you like them all you’ll have one big haystack on your plate to eat.
SDA Favorite Meal
This salad is a big vegetarian favorite of the Seventh Day Adventist church that I belong to. It’s been around for as long I can remember. I could probably make it in my sleep. It is served at potlucks and family meals. You can even go from camper to camper, cabin to cabin and tent to tent at our campmeeting to find that nearly everyone is making the same thing most days. The preparation is so quick and simple that everyone loves it and never gets tired of it. It truly is one of my favorites that I never tire of.
Prep Time: ½ hour
Here’s the recipe
- Tortilla Chips or Corn Chips
- Vegetarian Chili Beans
- Shredded Cheese
- Black Olives
- Sour Cream
- Warm up the chili on the stove or in the microwave.
- Dice veggies and break up lettuce into pieces; put everything into separate bowls. Put on the table
- Now it's time assemble your Haystack into layers.
- First you take a hand full of tortilla chips and crunch them up on your plate.
- Then add chili beans on top of the chips.
- Top with veggies one layer at a time.
- Then for a finishing touch top with salsa and sour cream as desired.
- When its all made on your plate it will look like a haystack!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR