Alfredo Sauce Made from Mushrooms?
When I first ran across a similar recipe to this on Pure Wow, I knew I had to try it. Mushrooms are so tasty, and also very low in calories. I love Alfredo sauce, but try not to use it often because it is so rich and high in calories. Making a sauce from mushrooms sounded too good to be true. It works!
It still surprises me that mushrooms will make such a thick sauce, but they do. The original recipe was too thick in my opinion. So much so that it was hard to blend to a smooth texture. With added milk or even water, it worked much better. I also lightened up on the cheese. You can increase it if you prefer a stronger flavor, but again, less cheese means less calories.
A cup of mushrooms has less than 25 calories, so you can see this really does make for a light sauce, while remaining very rich in flavor. I used low fat milk though any will work. You can see in the picture here how the mixture looked before I added the extra milk.
It’s a wonderful way to enjoy a healthy Alfredo sauce! Next time I will stir in my favorite spinach for color and nutrients, and before servings, I will add some chopped green onion or chives. It would be good with chicken and/or broccoli added too.
It’s now my go to replacement for Alfredo sauce!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1½ cups milk
- ⅓ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound fettuccine or linguine
- Cook pasta according to package directions, al dente.
- Saute onion and garlic in hot oil for 3 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms, and season to taste.
- Cook until mushrooms are browned and thoroughly softened, about 10 minutes. Stir often.
- Set aside a third of the mixture.
- Add 1 cup of milk, stirring it as it comes to a simmer.
- Pour mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
- If mixture remains grainy, add the rest of the milk (or water) until it sufficiently purees.
- Add Parmesan cheese, blending that in.
- Return to the skillet.
- Add the pasta to the pan, stirring to coat and to warm.
- Divide onto plates, topping with the remaining sautéed mushrooms.
- Serve immediately.