Making these cupcakes was a lot of fun. I’ve never made anything like them before; not even the type of frosting on these. I’d never have thought to use Kool-aid in my frosting. Sure enough it turns out with a lighter, fluffier consistency with a fun flavor. This frosting was a orange dream; tasted like orange sherbet.
Serves: 24 cupcakes
- 1 pkg chocolate cake mix
- 1 pkg (3.9 oz) Jello Chocolate instant pudding
- ⅓ cup Kool-aid orange flavor sugar sweetened drink mix
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 can 16 oz ready to spread white frosting
- 24 Oreo cookies
- 12 pieces black string licorice
- 48 mini M & M pieces
- Batter: Prepare cake mix batter as directed on package.
- Blend in dry pudding mix.
- Spoon into 24 paper lined muffin cups.
- Bake as directed on package at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Stick a toothpick in middle of one cupcake to make sure it comes out clean.
- Then cool completely.
- Frosting: Dissolve drink mix in 2 Tbsp water.
- Stir into frosting until well blended.
- Frost cupcakes.
- Reserve some of the frosting for attaching the Oreos and eyes.
- Decorating: Cut each licorice piece into 2 inch length; set aside.
- Place 1 Oreo cookie on top of each cupcake; insert 4 licorice pieces into frosting on each side of cookie for the spider legs.
- Dab frosting on top of Oreo to attach 2 M & M's for spider eyes.
Making the spider body was a little tricky because of the licorice legs. I couldn’t find the string kind so I used Twizzlers. I had to cut them in half; then half again to make them the right length. Then because they were still a little to thick yet; cut them again to make them skinnier. As you stick the licorice into the cookie frosting; it is firmer so be careful not to break the cookie. If you do just use a little frosting to put it back together. Then dab a little frosting on top of the cookie and add your eyes. They turned out looking so cute; even a bit spooky especially if you give them two different colored eyes.
They turned out so great I decided to make a spider cupcake delivery to my neighbors and family. Even my boyfriend loved them cause it had Oreo’s on them cause which are his favorite cookie. It was fun to watch him take bite of the spider! That’s him in the picture!
My neighbors reactions were ‘cutelicious’, ‘good’, ‘yummy’, ‘love the frosting’ and ‘cute’!
My son thought they were neat, cute and yummy! My fiancée’s dad said it was cute. As I watched the neighbor girl eat the cupcake; she ate the Oreo how many do. Take it apart and eat the frosting inside separate then the cookie even being on top of cupcake.
Step by step
Fox Run Stainless Steel 6-Quart Mixing BowlProctor Silex 62509RY 5-Speed Hand Mixer, WhiteWilton Recipe Right Nonstick 12-Cup Regular Muffin PanGood Cook Set Of 3 Non-Stick Cookie SheetRachael Ray 3-Piece Spatula Utensil Set, OrangePenelope’s Parties Paper Cupcake Liners, Haunted HalloweenWhite Halloween Apron With Spooky Spider
ABOUT THE AUTHOR