Spinach and White Bean Soup
If you are looking for a meatless comfort soup, this recipe is for you. A favorite recipe of mine from my Spinach Collection, this is a delicious, mild soup that you can prepare in minutes.
While I use chicken broth, if you want to make the soup vegetarian, use vegetable broth as a substitute.
The combination of broth, beans and spinach is delicious on a cold night. You know they say chicken soup is good for colds. Well, I think this version is too. It is soothing like so many soups are.
Plus beans and spinach are both on the top food lists for a healthy brain and a healthy heart. All the more reason to fix some this week.
Since I love spinach, I will often add an extra cup when I make mine. You can add more or less spinach and beans as you like. Dinner can be served in about 15 minutes. That makes for an quick. healthy soup that looks colorful and tastes terrific. Spice it up with tabasco too if you feel like it.
It’s wonderful served with rolls or cornbread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 leeks or green onions, chopped
- 2 cans fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups cooked white beans (or 2 cans)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 to 3 cups spinach
- salt and pepper
- fresh Romano or Parmesan, grated
- ½ cup orzo (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet, then saute the garlic and onion for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add chicken broth, cumin, bay leaves, stirring to blend.
- Add beans and orzo (optional), then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare bowls for serving.
- ot 3 minutes before serving, add the spinach.
- Once the spinach has wilted, serve with a sprinkling of Romano or Parmesan cheese.