Wheat Gluten Steaks are a home made vegetarian meat-like steak that takes the place of real meat. This is a great alternative if you are not a meat eater. I know these gluten steaks as Choplets as they somewhat close to the Worthington brand I buy but making them at home is even better. They make a delicious sandwich at dinnertime. You can fix them up with lettuce, tomato, onions, cheese, or anything you like on your sandwiches. They are even good just cut up and dipped in ketchup.
I learned how to make Gluten Steaks while my sister was recently visiting. She makes them all the time and it is a favorite in her home. Now that I’ve learned how to make them they can be a favorite in mine too. She brought some of the dry ingredients already mixed up and we picked up a few more at the store. It was a learning experience to see how these are made and I took photos along the way. I’m so excited to share the recipes and photos I took with you all here on JAQUO. So that’s what your going to find in this article; the three recipes for the gluten steaks, broth and breading along with the know how to make them!
Food Processor • Measuring Spoons • Cutting Board • Knife • Plastic Wrap • Cooking Pot • Slotted Spoon • Frying Pan • Platter • Of course all the ingredients to make the Gluten Steaks
- 1 onion
- ½ cup oatmeal
- ½ cup wheat germ
- 2 T brewer's yeast flakes
- 2 T chicken seasoning
- 1½ c water
- 1½ c gluten flour (dough pep)
- First you will want to cut your onion into quarters and process them in the food processor until apple sauce consistency.
- Then process first 7 ingredients in food processor. This makes your Dough Prep for making gluten steaks.
- Add ½ cup or more dough pep onto the counter and work until smooth making into a long roll. Use the other half of dough and do the same. You will have two rolls. Then roll them into a plastic wrap and let sit for 1-2 hours. Slice into steaks and cook in broth for 1 hour.
- 10 cup water
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2 T chicken seasoning
- 1 pkg Lipton onion soup mix
- Bring to boil and drop wheat gluten steaks into broth.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- Remove and let cool.
- Put them into a container and set in the fridge until ready to fry.
- They can be rolled or dipped into a breading meal for frying.
- 1 cup flour or bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp nutrition yeast flakes
- 1 Tbsp dry parsley flakes
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Dip your steaks into the breading and put in to the frying pan.
- When done put them a pretty platter and serve.
Wrapped gluten steaks:
Processing the onions:
Mixing the dough in the food processor:
Cutting into steaks:
Steaks ready to cook:
ABOUT THE AUTHOR