Quick & easy asparagus soup
When asparagus is plentiful, it’s easy to make this tasty, delicious soup. It has a wonderful flavour and although it tastes very creamy, it contains no dairy. (Sometimes I use butter in this recipe but you can substitute the oil of your choice if you wish.)
I’ve made this soup with home made vegetable stock but also I’ve used plain water instead – the asparagus has such a good flavour of its own so stock isn’t essential.
Health authorities are always telling us that we should eat more vegetables and this is a quick and delicious way to do so. Because it contains no artificial ingredients and because asparagus has many health benefits, you can be assured that you are serving your family or guests the very best – there’s nothing quite like a home made soup.
Here’s the recipe. Scroll down for tips and serving suggestions.
Serves: Serves 2
- 8 oz fresh asparagus, cleaned and trimmed
- 1½ cups water (or vegetable stock)
- 1 teaspoon butter or oil
- Fresh mint leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the tips from the asparagus stalks and set aside.
- Cut the stalks into pieces roughly 1" long.
- Boil the water or stock in a saucepan, add the asparagus stalk pieces, lower the heat and simmer until tender (about ten minutes).
- Pour the cooked stalks,complete with their cooking liquid, into a blender.
- Add black pepper and a few fresh mint leaves.
- Zap in the blender until smooth.
- Heat the butter or oil in the pan and sauté the asparagus tips for about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add the blended asparagus mixture to the pan, re-heat and serve.
Tips and serving suggestions
- Serve the soup with salad and delicious crusty bread. If you eat dairy, it’s nice to sprinkle the soup with a little shaved parmesan. This can be passed round separately
- Although this soup tastes remarkably creamy, you can make it even more so by adding a little milk or natural yogurt
- If the soup is too thick,add a little more water or stock
- If you’d like the soup to have more of a green colour, add a tablespoon of frozen peas during the last minute of boiling the stalks
- Alternatively add a few fresh leaves of spinach. This will add to the health benefits of this soup
- If you’re serving asparagus tips as a vegetable, don’t throw the stalks away – make this soup. Although you won’t have the tips to add, you can add other green vegetables. Garnish with mint leaves for a fresh flavour
Scroll down for a further selection of healthy eating ideas.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR