Smoked mackerel has a strong flavor and therefore makes a delicious paté that my family really enjoys.
In my house we try to eat as much oily fish as possible because it is very good for you and we think that paté is one of best mackerel recipes around!
It is an oily fish and therefore is a very rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. Although fish is very good for your health, unfortunately it seems that much of it contains toxins, so it’s wise not to eat it too often!
If you love the taste of strong smokey fish, then this recipe will really hit the spot. One of the best things about it is that it’s very easy and quick to make because it requires no actual cooking. It is absolutely delicious coarse or smooth, and served with hot vegetables or to accompany a salad, but the actual paté must always be served nice and cold – just out of the fridge.
It’s very nice on hot buttered toast with pickled gherkins. Here’s the recipe that we use. This year my son made it as part of our Christmas Eve starter.
Serves: Serves 4
- 250 g smoked Mackerel
- 2 tablespoons of fresh single cream
- 3 level tablespoons of Horseradish
- 50 g softened butter
- Skin and shred your mackerel into a bowl taking care to remove all the bones
- Mash the butter into the fish and then add the horseradish and the cream
- Season with pepper (there’s no need for salt)
- Mix well with a fork. If you want a smooth pate then use an electric food processor
- Once the ingredients are all well mixed together, spoon the pate into your serving dish and store in the fridge until it is cold about half an hour
- Serve cold with a slice of lemon and some parsley on top
Here’s an article I wrote about smoked salmon with delicious recipes: Smoked Salmon Recipes
Do you eat oily fish regularly? Please leave a comment. Thank you for your visit.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR