Spinach, mushrooms and cheese seem to belong together. They taste fantastic! This recipe is no exception.
When I first ran across this tasty casserole it was made quite differently than it would be today. It called for 6 tablespoons of butter and a teaspoon of salt. That seemed too much to me, so I’ve changed it up, making it healthier and lighter.
First, I used coconut oil to sauté the mushrooms. That is healthier and lighter. Next, I cut the butter down to 2 tablespoons. Having prepared it, I don’t think you need that even. Spinach and mushrooms have a wonderful flavor, especially with cheese added. I will omit that next time. Lastly I substituted low fat cheese.
The final result was rich and satisfying. Without the butter, it is fairly low in calories. It’s a pretty side dish or a main dish. I served it for lunch. It was all we needed. Vegetarians that eat cheese will love it as well.
If you want to keep it to one pan, you can wilt the spinach in the skillet before you start the mushrooms. Then they can be draining while the mushrooms cook. If you prefer, you needn’t layer the dish, though I like it that way. If you want to skip the layers, place all the spinach in the baking dish before adding the rest.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 (10 ounce) packages fresh spinach, rinsed and stems removed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (optional)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 to 1½ cups shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Melt 1 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté mushrooms until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Wilt spinach in a large pot over medium heat, or in microwave for 2 minutes .
- Drain, squeezing or pressing out excess water.
- Place ½ in prepared baking dish and season lightly.
- Pour 2 tablespoons melted butter on spinach (optional)
- Layer ½ of the mushrooms on the spinach.
- Sprinkle the onion and ½ of the cheese.
- Layer the rest of the spinach.
- Layer mushrooms on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
The Calphalon 5 Quart Skillet