Watercress, pecan and blue cheese salad recipe.
This is probably the easiest salad in the world and can be adapted easily to suit your own tastes. One of the reasons I like this so much is that it needs no additional seasoning. The blue cheese means that no extra salt is required and the watercress has its own peppery flavour.
This makes it ideal for picnics too as it means there’s no need to take condiments along. Pack the super-simple dressing separately and toss into the salad just before serving.
I love the combination of fresh green leaves, pungent blue cheese and protein-packed nuts.
Another favourite combination is to use baby spinach in place of the watercress and walnuts instead of pecans. This is made even more delicious if you add fresh chunks of mango. Yum.
This recipe is just too easy.
Serves: 2 - 4 portions
- 3 cups watercress, washed and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup toasted pecans
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- Put the watercress in a large bowl with the nuts and the cheese.
- Mix gently so that the ingredients are well distributed.
- Mix together the lemon juice and oil.
- Toss the dressing into the watercress salad just before serving.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR