Chunky Vegetarian Potato Soup
I love the flavor of the vegetarian potato soup. Before becoming a vegetarian, I used the older version of this recipe with chicken broth.
Since then I’ve changed out the broth, and replaced and/or eliminated some of the other ingredients.
For instance, I now add diced mushrooms to my potato soup for an extra savory flavor. My preferred mushrooms for this are the Baby Bella mushrooms, although I have also used the white button caps.
I eliminated the flour, there was no need to really have the flour in the soup; the potatoes and mushrooms give it enough texture and thickening without adding extra carbs. (Part of the soup gets pureed.)
Here’s the recipe:
Serves: 4 - 5
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup diced onion
- 4 – 5 mushrooms
- ⅓ cup celery, diced
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- ½ tsp. iodized sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Saute the onion, mushrooms, and celery in the olive oil until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the broth, potatoes, and bay leaf.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Remove ¾’s of the cooked vegetables and set aside.
- Blend the remaining vegetables into the broth.
- Stir the vegetables back in.
- Stir in the milk, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Serve warm.
I dice the potatoes first, and then soak the diced potatoes in several containers of cold water while I’m dicing the mushrooms and celery, to help reduce the amount of starchiness. I just drain it and then add some fresh water. Just as a side note, I prefer the peelers that you can hold from the side. With the swivel mechanism, the peeler can glide in either direction.
I used to remove only ¼ of the amount of cooked vegetables, but then started increasing the amount that I removed from the soup. This helps to increase the chunkiness factor. It all depends on whether you prefer a more chunky soup, or a thicker broth.
If you like soups, you may also like these: